Receive Alzheimer's treatment and prevention news and analysis from our experts.

0

Studies Say Eat These Foods for a Healthy Alzheimer’s Diet Breakfast

Posted by on Monday, July 10th, 2017

 healthy breakfast foods for Alzheimer's diet

One of the biggest challenges in implementing the Alzheimer’s Diet may perhaps be eating a healthy breakfast every day, particularly if you are on the road.

The most common foods in the Western diet include quick carbohydrates such as muffins, toast, prepackaged cereals, and high sugar quick instant breakfast drinks (loaded with unwanted sugar and unhealthy fats).  Check in to just about any motel in America that offers free breakfast, and you’ll find an array of unhealthy food items such as waffles and cereal, bagels, muffins, toast with jelly and more.  Trying to find healthy breakfast items when you are traveling can be a real challenge, but at home it gets easier. See why these breakfast foods are recommended for the Alzheimer’s diet.  

Best Breakfast Food choices for the Alzheimer’s Diet

Eggs are the perfect source of protein and essential amino acids.  A high protein diet provides nutrients while ensuring you stay full longer.  Eggs contain 94% net protein, and are said to be one of the healthiest protein sources you can eat.  Choked full of vitamins (such as Vitamin A, D, K, E, B and more), minerals such as zinc and calcium, and other trace minerals; eggs are considered the perfect food.  

Studies on Eggs and Cholesterol

Yes, eggs are high in cholesterol, but studies have shown that 70% of all those who eat eggs do not develop increased blood cholesterol as a result. The liver produces cholesterol each day and when we eat eggs, it means the liver simply produces less cholesterol.  In the other 30% studied, eggs, slightly raised the total and LDL (good cholesterol) but did NOT raise the HDL (bad cholesterol associated with stroke and cardiac disease).

Chicken Sausage is low fat, (particularly compared to pork sausage or bacon). Combined with an egg for protein, chicken sausage is a great breakfast food choice for the Alzheimer’s diet.

Nuts, such as almonds, pecans, walnuts and Brazil nuts are great foods for the Alzheimer’s diet any time of day.  They can provide a great boost of protein, polyunsaturated fats, and antioxidants (such as Vitamin E) to any whole grain or yogurt breakfast dish.  Just keep in mind that nuts are loaded with calories, so a handful will do.

Berries (of all types) and other fresh fruits are great options for the Alzheimer’s diet breakfast menu.  Red berries have been scientifically proven to be very high in vitamins (particularly Vitamin C).  Antioxidants (such as those found in Vitamins C and E, carotene, lycopene, and lutein), help to reduce free radicals-thought to be involved in the AD disease process.  These antioxidants found in red and blueberries are thought to lower the risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease, AD, and macular degeneration (of the eye).  Red berries are recommended daily as part of a healthy Alzheimer’s prevention diet.  Other fruits such as apples, pears, grapes (particularly the red ones, (high in Resveratrol) and kiwi fruit, are good choices as well.  Fruit with peeling such as apples and pears are high in fiber, and considered low glycemic index foods.   Avoid canned or frozen fruit choices because processing lowers the nutrition value and these processed fruits usually contain loads of added sugar.

Sources of Vitamin E and Vitamin C

Vitamin E is found in whole grains and nuts; beta carotene can be found in broccoli, kale and spinach.  Vitamin C is present in many varieties of fruit, as well as in sprouts, broccoli and cabbage. 

Learn more about the Alzheimer’s diet by CLICKING HERE to view the ground-breaking book, “The Alzheimer’s Treatment and Prevention Diet,” written by Harvard trained neurologist, Dr. Richard Isaacson, M.D. 

For more easy to follow nutrition advice check out The Alzheimer’s Diet: A Step-by-Step Nutritional Approach to Memory Loss Prevention and Treatment, or visit theadplan.com to learn more about Neurologist, Dr. Richard Isaacson's 9 week diet plan and his cutting edge approach in the fight against AD in Alzheimer's Treatment | Alzheimer's Prevention: A Patient and Family Guide 2012 Edition. Also, sign up for the newsletter to get the latest updates in AD treatment and prevention news.

Leave a Reply